Garbage & Recycling
Refuse/Garbage collection is provided by Homewood Disposal Services Inc. which is the parent company of Star Disposal. Refuse/Garbage collection service is provided to single-family residences only. Multi-family townhomes, condominiums, and cooperative areas all contract separately for refuse/garbage collection service. Residents living in the Multi-family areas should call their respective Management Office for questions. The current contact with Star Disposal provides for the collection of common household waste, recyclable waste, electronic waste, and yard waste.
Common Household Waste - Brown Bin
Village-wide garbage collection is on Tuesday of every week. Garbage bins should be placed curbside by 7 a.m. When a holiday such as Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Independence Day/July 4th falls on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, garbage collection will take place on Wednesday of that week only. Additional brown bins are available through Star Disposal, please call 708-748-8381. See below for Collection Schedule.
There is no bulk collection day, however, residents may place one large item out each week, at no charge. Bulk items consist of kitchen appliances, washers, dryers, or furniture. For any questions regarding an item, please call Star Disposal at 708-748-8381.
No hazardous waste, special waste, car parts, or tires will be collected. Small amounts of dirt, sod, bricks, concrete and remodeling debris will be collected.
Recyclable Waste - Green Bin
Recyclables are collected every other Tuesday. Additional green bins can be provided by calling Star Disposal at 708-748-8381. Accepted items are:
- White, brown, and green glass bottles and jars
- Tin and aluminum containers
- Plastic containers, #1-7 (#6 are not accepted) - Look for number on container
- Newspapers, junk mail, magazines, telephone books, catalogs, cardboard (emptied and flattened)
For more information about what is recyclable and ways to recycle materials that are not accepted, click here.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) - Need to schedule a pick up
Residents can dispose of electronic waste on Tuesdays at no extra charge. Below is the process for Electronic Waste pick-up.
- Call 708-798-1004 or visit mydisposal.com/ewaste to schedule your e-waste pick-up.
- Place your scheduled electronics at the curb on garbage day (Tuesday).
- A separate truck will pick up the electronic waste.
• Minimum of 5 electronic items or 1 TV or computer monitor per scheduled pick-up.
• Maximum of 2 TVs or computer monitors per year, per address.
• This service is for single-family homes only. Disposing of electronics with household garbage was made illegal on Jan. 1, 2012, by the Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act.
Yard Waste - Blue Bin (Service is available on the first Tuesday in April through the last Tuesday in November)
Residents can dispose of yard waste on Tuesdays by using 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags available at most local hardware stores. A Star Disposal sticker must be purchased and placed on those yard waste bags for them to be collected. Star Disposal stickers are available at Village Hall. The current sticker price (2023) is $3.00/each which usually increases every year on January 1st. Call 708-503-7700 for more info.
Residents in single-family homes also have the option to rent a blue 95-gallon yard waste bin from Star Disposal. Information about pricing and renting additional blue bins can be provided by calling Star Disposal at 708-748-8381.
Tree branches are acceptable for collection based on the following methods and conditions.
- Small branches, twigs and broken down branches can be placed in lawn waste bags or blue bin.
- Otherwise, branches can be bundled and tied. Bundled branches must be, no longer than five feet in length, bundled/tied together (for easier pick up and employee safety), and no branch may be greater than four inches in diameter.
- Branches bigger than 4 inches in diameter need to be disposed of by other means and methods. Call a local landscaping or tree removal service for pricing and options.
Christmas tree pick-up service is provided in January. All ornaments, tinsel, lights, etc. must be removed.
For questions regarding the Refuse/Garbage Collection Program, please call Village Hall at 708-503-7702. Other inquiries can be made directly to Star Disposal at 708-748-8381.